Due to older varieties and traditional methods of preparation, Brussels sprouts have acquired a bad rap. If you haven’t had Brussels sprouts in a while, or have never considered trying them, I say give this roasted Brussels sprouts recipe a chance!
Brussels sprouts are slightly sweet and so delicious when roasted. They also come out crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, which makes a very satisfying chew!
How to Roast Brussels Sprouts?
While there are many ways to prepare roasted Brussels sprouts in the oven, the winning method, in my opinion, is to keep it simple. Just a little avocado oil and salt are all that’s needed to make this dish shine. These little sprouts can really hold their own!
What to Make with Brussels Sprouts?
Brussels sprouts pair well with pretty much anything and can be tossed into salads to give them a hearty flavor. I often serve Brussels sprouts alongside a salmon fillet for a satisfying meal. This little side dish also works well for the Thanksgiving holiday, given its flavor profile and how easy it is to make a large batch for sharing with guests!
What Are the Health Benefits?
Brussels Sprouts have many powerful health benefits. They are known for their cancer-fighting properties, can help the body eliminate toxins, and protect the body from oxidative stress.
Brussels Sprouts belong to the cruciferous family of vegetables, like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, Bok choy, and kale, to name a few. They are high in fiber and low in calories. That’s a win!
Now let’s get down to business and talk about how to make these adorable little vegetables into a delicious addition to your meal!
- Brussels sprouts - look for a package or stalk that contains minimal dried outer leaves. Too many layers of dried leaves mean they are not very fresh.
- Salt - while any kind of salt is fine, I prefer a course-grain salt for this recipe.
- Health tip - avoid pink Himalayan salt because it tends to contain more metals that can be toxic to the body.
- Avocado oil - avocado oil is great for higher-heat cooking, which is perfect for this recipe. It has a neutral flavor, is rich in monosaturated fats (which is good for heart health) and helps you to better absorb antioxidants.
For each sprout, trim off the stem, peel off any dry outer leaves, and cut in half lengthwise.
Toss with avocado oil, then toss again with salt.
Transfer to a baking sheet and place the cut sides down.
Place in the oven preheated to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the outer leaves turn golden brown and crispy.
Here are some simple ways to switch up the recipe:
- Kid-friendly - sprinkle some grated parmesan cheese for more appeal.
- Festive - sprinkle pomegranate seeds when serving this side during the holidays.
- Fall flavors - combine with baked sweet potatoes for a cozy addition.
- While best served immediately after baking, you can store them in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Reheat in the microwave before serving. The Brussels sprouts will lose their crispiness but will still be delicious!
While you can simply toss the Brussels sprouts in oil and salt directly on the sheet pan, using a large mixing bowl can produce better results. Here are the advantages:
- The oil coats the sprouts more thoroughly, allowing for a crispier result.
- The salt is distributed more evenly.
- Excess oil does not get onto the sheet pan, eliminating the concern of a smoking oven or potential flames (if there is too much oil) when baking.
- There's no need to use parchment paper or spray cooking oil on the pan. The sprouts are already well coated with oil, making it easy to wash the sheet pan when done!
Crispy Tender Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- 28 ounces Brussels sprouts
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil
- ¼ teaspoon coarse kosher salt regular table salt is fine too
- Preheat the oven to 425 °F.
- Cut off the ends of each Brussel sprout, remove any dry leaves, then cut in half lengthwise.
- In a large bowl, toss the Brussels sprouts with avocado oil, sprinkle with salt, and toss again.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and position them cut side down.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown and crispy on the outside. Serve immediately.